COMET CAMPERS NZ - WORLDWIDE YOU DRIVE COMPANIES
Comet Campers opened in Sydney, Australia, in late 1993, at a time when there were already a number of dealers selling cars to backpackers. However, these businesses were car dealerships first and foremost and did not really understand the needs of travellers. From the outset, Comet Campers focused entirely on these special needs. As ex-backpackers, all of us decided to provide the kind of service we would expect ourselves. We opened our operations in New Zealand through our partners Escape Campers & Happy Campers in 2008.
What you see today is the result. None of the car dealers that were selling to backpackers in 1993 still exist today!
All our branches are in the heart of the backpacker area and since 1993 we have opened several locations around Australia:
- Sydney in 1993 (and still at the same shop in Kings Cross)
- Cairns in 1999
- Brisbane & Melbourne in 2002
- Darwin & Perth 2005
- Auckland & Christchurch 2008
Comet Campers knows Australia & New Zealand inside out – it’s our home! We also know cars and love our job. Basically, the idea of travelling around Australia/New Zealand by bus is simply out of the question.
There are currently no terms and conditions for travel during this period. If your rental is during these travel dates, new terms and conditions may apply. Please contact us before booking.
Comet Campers NZ InsuranceProperty Damage
1) The Hirer acknowledges that Travellers Autobarn holds a contract of insurance (“Our Policy”) for accidental damage to the Vehicle or legal liability for loss and damage to property belonging to others caused by or arising out of the use of the Vehicle (“Damage”).
2) Subject to clause Exclusions of this Agreement, the Hirer is responsible for, and liable to pay:
2.1) the amount of any applicable bond that is payable by Travellers Autobarn in respect of any Damage that is incurred while the Vehicle is in the Hirer’s possession, and for which Travellers Autobarn has not agreed to waive the Hirer’s responsibility.
2.2) notwithstanding any waiver of liability under clause Security Bond / Liability Options of this Agreement, the entire cost of:
2.2.1) any Damage that falls within any of the exclusions in clause Exclusions of this Agreement; or
2.2.2) any Damage that is incurred while the Vehicle is in the Hirer’s possession if the Hirer breaches any term of this Agreement and the breach is the cause of, or contributes to, the Damage.
2.3) subject to clause Exclusions of this Agreement, administration costs and the cost of demurrage for any period in which the Vehicle is unavailable due to repairs.
3) A VALID VISA OR MASTERCARD CREDIT CARD IS REQUIRED FOR THE SECURITY BOND. If you do not have a valid Visa Card or Mastercard please contact us so that we can email you a credit card authorisation form which allows you to use the credit card of a family member/guarantor.
4) A security bond is required upon pick-up of the Vehicle. The amount of the security bond is determined by the applicable liability option you have chosen. Payment of the bond is only accepted by a signed credit card pre authorisation (sufficient funds must be available). The amount of the bond will not be debited from your account at this time.
5) If there is damage to the Vehicle on its return, the bond will be used to cover the cost of such damage up to the amount of the Hirer’s liability. If the damage is a consequence of a breach of any term of this Agreement and the bond is insufficient to cover the damage, then any extra cost will be charged.
6) Reminder: It is one bond per accident/damage and not per rental, therefore once you report the accident to Travellers Autobarn, another bond will need to be pre authorised, otherwise you cannot continue with the rental.
7) Accidents and any other damage must be reported to the Customer Assistance Line within 24 hours of the occurrence or all liability limitations and coverages are void.
Security Bond / Liability Options
Protection Plus & Midway Protection is payable to a maximum of 50 days for all Vehicles.
Protection Plus includes one front windscreen and two tyres.
If the Protection Plus liability reduction option has been chosen a credit card imprint of the Hirer’s credit card will be taken as security in case of a breach of any terms in this Agreement or any administration fees in respect of infringement notices.
1) *Additional Coverages
Windscreen Waiver: With the purchase of the windscreen waiver, the Hirer is not responsible to pay in the event that the windscreen needs to be replaced (first windscreen only and side & rear windows are excluded). All Vehicles = $3/day up to maximum $75
(Note: If this additional waiver is not purchased, windscreen chips are charged at $90 each, any more than 3 chips will result in a windscreen replacement charge of $450).
Tyre Waiver: With purchase of the tyre waiver, the Hirer is not responsible to pay in the event that tyres need to be replaced due to damage (up to max of two tyres per rental). All Vehicles = $3/day up to maximum of $75 payable.
1) Subject to this clause 3), the Hirer acknowledges that they are liable to Travellers Autobarn for the full costs arising out of, or incurred in connection with:
1.1) Damage caused where the Hirer has breached the terms of this Agreement and the breach has contributed to the Damage.
1.2) Damage caused due to use of the Vehicle in contravention of clause Use of the Vehicle, Road Restrictions and Island Trips or Fuel and Fluids of this Agreement.
1.3) Damage caused to the Vehicle by not driving in a prudent and cautious manner.
1.4) Damage caused to the Vehicle by driving on unsealed roads or beach driving.
1.5) Damage caused to the Vehicle in any way by part or total water submersion including in flood water, river water, salt water, or any other source of water.
1.6) Damage caused to the Vehicle due to a single Vehicle write off or rollover.
1.7) Damage caused to the Vehicle by the Hirer’s wilful conduct e.g. sitting or standing on the bonnet or roof of the Vehicle.
1.8) Damage caused to the Vehicle by the Hirer using the Vehicle in contravention of any legislation or regulation controlling vehicular traffic.
1.9) Damage caused to the interior of the Vehicle regardless of cause when no other vehicle is involved.
1.10) Damage caused to the Vehicle due to use of incorrect or contaminated fuel.
1.11) Damage caused due to the use or misuse of snow chains.
1.12) Damage or loss caused to any personal belongings.
1.13) Damage to the awning, overhead (roof) or under-body of the Vehicle.
1.14) Damage caused to the Vehicle because the Hirer has failed to maintain all fluid and fuel levels or failed to immediately rectify or report to us any defect of which you become aware.
1.15) All costs to replace keys which have become lost, broken, damaged, stolen or of retrieval of keys which been locked in the Vehicle, or where the Vehicle has been stolen due to it being unlocked.
1.16) Damage caused where the Hirer is deemed by local authorities to have been careless or willful in failing to abide by the local road rules, resulting in Damage to the hired Vehicle and/or Third Party Vehicle or property.
1.17) Damage caused by the Hirer’s failure to take reasonable measures for the safety of the Vehicle, its parts or accessories, or failure to comply with all restrictions on the use of the Vehicle or otherwise abuse or misuse of it
1.18) It is agreed between Travellers Autobarn and the Hirer that section 11 of the Insurance Law Reform Act 1977 shall apply with respect to the above exclusions as if this clause constitutes a contract of insurance.
2) Subject to this clause 3), the Hirer agrees to release and indemnify Travellers Autobarn from and against all actions, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs, expenses, harm or other misadventure which the Hirer may suffer or incur, or for which the Hirer may become liable, as a consequence of:
2.1) any use of the Vehicle in breach of this Agreement, any reckless or negligent act, error or omission of the Hirer, or of any invitee of the driver or any passenger in the Vehicle, or any misuse of the Vehicle by the Hirer during the term of hire or while the Vehicle otherwise remains in the possession of the Hirer; or
2.2) any damage or loss caused to any personal belongings within the Vehicle.
3) The Hirer is not liable to Travellers Autobarn for, and does not indemnify Travellers Autobarn in respect of, any Damage or loss to the extent that such Damage or loss is caused by any breach of this Agreement by Travellers Autobarn, or by any willful or negligent act or omission of Travellers Autobarn, its employees or agents.
4) This clause Exclusions and clause Property Damage of this Agreement shall survive the termination of this Agreement.